Based in the heart of NY, Advance Foot and Ankle Solutions offers the best diabetic limb salvage facility as well as catering to all of your podiatric problems. Look no further when you can have direct access to the globally acclaimed team of foot and ankle doctors, supervising & managing your diabetic limb salvage procedure with diligence and dedication.
Advance Foot and Ankle Solutions support team is absolutely attentive to your diabetic limb salvage related requirements. Call & book an appointment right away for professionally diagnosed, treated and empathetically cured foot and ankle issues, to lead a wholesome, enviable lifestyle.
Diabetic Limb Salvage: Elaborated By Your Diabetic Podiatrist
Diabetes & Its Debilitating Effects: As rightly put by a wise, anonymous person: “Diabetes is the mother of all diseases.” Quite precisely and pin-pointedly defined as well as explained in a single statement. According to the statistics provided by the American Diabetes Association, greater than 7% of the United States population suffers from this deadly disease that acts as a slow, silent killer. One of the major complications acquired via diabetes is neuropathy (damage to nervous system) that affects 65 to 75 percent of the diabetic population, causing numbness (loss of sensation) in the hands and, worse still, in the feet.
Diabetic Limb Salvage: Risks Involved With Diabetic Lower Limb
There are a significant number of post-diabetic issues that may well affect the lower extremities, especially the feet, of a diabetic person to an extent that leading a normal life while coping with the chronic situation becomes an uphill task. Individuals tackling this slow poisoner need to exercise extreme care and take essential precautions to ward off the ill-effects of the acquired condition. Diabetic foot problems are a serious health concern and require the sufferer to regularly monitor their feet for loss of sensation in any zone so that the amputation process can be kept at bay. The major risk factors that a diabetic person is prone to are underlined:
- Poor Blood Circulation To The Lower Extremities
- Neuropathy In The Foot Region
- Dry & Cracked Skin
- Progression Of A Minor Cut, Wound Or Blister Into Serious Infection
- Extremely Diminished Healing Rate
- Suppressed Immunity
- Feet Exposed To Risk Of Becoming Deformed
- Diabetic Foot Ulcers Causing Bone Fractures & Disintegration
- Charcot Foot
- Amputation Of A Toe Or The Entire Foot
Diabetic Limb Salvage: General Care & Precautions Recommended
Through exercising certain steps meant to provide care and safety to your podiatric foot conditions, limb salvage can be ensured to a much higher extent. Let’s have a closer look at each of them.
- Try To Keep Your Feet Warm.
- Wash Your Feet Daily With Mild Soap & Lukewarm Water.
- Sit In A Posture With Straightened Legs (No Cross-legged position).
- Trim Your Toenails Straight Across, Avoiding the Corners.
- Apply Lotion To Keep The Skin Lubricated, Soft & Moist, Avoiding The Inter-digit Zone.
- Wear Warm, Loose Socks & Footwear In Cold Season.
- Inspect & Dust Out Shoes Prior To Putting Them On.
- Use Properly Fitting Footwear Without Being Too Tight Or Loose.
- Never Walk Barefoot.
- Don’t Soak Your Feet In Water, Rain Or Snow.
- Don’t Place Your Feet In Front Of Fireplace.
- Quit Smoking, It Being Highly Injurious In Diabetic Condition.
- Avoid Using Antiseptic Preparations, Over-the-counter Medications, and Heating Pads Or Sharp-edged Instruments.
- Don’t Attempt To Trim An Ingrown Toenail.
Diabetic Limb Salvage: Special Concrete Measures To Be Taken
Besides the above-mentioned general precautions and care tips, some additional steps are to be followed as prescribed below to ward off the chances of leading your diabetic foot into a quagmire.
Regular Inspection Of The Feet:
- Both Feet Are To Be Carefully Examined On Daily Basis.
- Look Out For Bruises, Cuts, Scratches, Wounds, Blisters, Ulcers, Warmth, Redness, Pressure Zones & Nail Problems.
- Inspection For Skin Rupture Or Damage Is The Most Crucial Aspect.
- Finding Swelling In One Of The Feet Is An Indication Of Charcot Foot.
- Carefully Examine The Lower Part Of Your Feet From Heel To Toes.
Selection Of Footwear:
- Select The Best Fit While Measuring Your Shoe Size On Every Purchase.
- Select Shoes With Deep, Spacious Toe Boxes, Avoiding High Heels & Narrow-toe Designs.
- Avoid Prolonged Footwear Usage & Daily Repetition.
- Shoes Should Be Laced Or Buckled Neither Too Tight Nor Loose.
- Avoid Prolonged, Continuous Walks Without Inspecting The Feet For Soreness, Redness Or Ulceration.
Usage Of Orthotics:
In recent times several insurance firms cover the cost of tailored orthotics for diabetic people. The orthotic should be custom-made out of soft material such as plastizote that prevents the development of a pressure ulcer in the podiatric region. Since the device is truly bespoke, it can be inserted in and used with all types of footwear at all times while standing or walking.
Diabetic Limb Salvage: When Amputation Becomes Inevitable?
Even with extreme preventive measures and intensely prompt treatment of infections and other complications, the bleakest of all surgical procedures, i.e. amputation turns into an all-essential step for the removal of infected tissue, save a limb either completely or partially or even save a life from extinction.