Foot and Ankle Sprains fully managed & treated at our Center at New York. Don’t let these minor sprains make you suffer unnecessarily & jolt your sportive schedules. Let your sprained foot and ankle get that tender & compassionate care from our passionate medical crew.
Get immediate assistance and consultation through appointments fixed at your ease and convenience. Refer to our specialist Foot and ankle Clinic in NY for all types of pains and sprains.
Ankle Sprain: Defined & Detailed
A ligament under trauma is denoted as “sprain”. Ligaments are tough & resilient connective tissue that connect one bone to another and help in the proper functioning of joints.
Injury to ligaments can be a result of a sudden pull or jerk, almost unexpectedly. The commonest sprained ligaments of the foot lie at the sides of the ankle laterally. A damaged ligament usually gives rise to inflammation that is mostly acute with its primal symptoms of redness (rubor), heat (calor), swelling (tumor), and pain (dolor). Bleeding, too, may follow a badly bruised ankle. Movement of foot under such condition becomes very painful & limited.
Causes & Symptoms Attributed to Ankle Sprain
The factors responsible for an ankle sprain may be as varied as there are types of sprains to bear up with. A couple can be listed as beneath:
- Unnatural & sudden force or twisting on the foot at the ankle bones, resulting in excessive stretching and subsequent rupture of the lateral ankle ligament(s).
- A habitual sporting activity that is a tough one, too, giving rise to perennial chronic pain & discomfort within the ankle zone due to prolonged exposure of the ligament(s) to stress and strain, causing them to lose their elasticity & flexibility needed for normal joint movement.
The core signs & symptoms of a sprained ankle include:
- Excruciating ligament pain in the lateral sprained region
- Instability in the ankle joint causing difficulty in treading over uneven surface
- Stiffness in the ankle joint turning its movement restricted & painful
- Inflammation of the injured area signifying the onset of the body’s natural immune & healing systems
- Tenderness in the overall damaged joint area marking the severity of trauma resulting in the ligament(s) loosening up.
It is only with the help of a Foot and ankle Doctor Long Island or specialist that the negligible symptoms can be traced out for conducive foot and ankle sprain treatment. Depending upon their intensity consultation with a foot and ankle sprain specialist is advisable to decide upon the need of a reconstructive foot and ankle surgery at the hands of an able surgeon.
Scope of an Ankle Sprain
Based on the severity of ankle sprain, the condition has been graded accordingly as follows:
1st Grade: Ligament(s) stretched mildly without rupture & joint instability
2nd Grade: Ligament(s) ruptured partially with low to mild joint instability
3rd Grade: Ligament(s) ruptured completely with severe joint instability
High Ankle Sprain: A sprain occurring in the region above the ankle, at the junction of the lower heads of the twin calf bones, tibia & fibula. The intermediary ligament that serves as a linkage between the two bones usually gets ruptured as a result of an ankle injury sustained during football or skiing activities. This typical sprain is usually a complicated one, required longer period to heal as against a conventional lateral ankle sprain.
Foot & Ankle Sprain Treatment: Its Aims & Ways
The Aim: The primary aim of ligament(s) treatment in the presence of a dedicated foot and ankle specialist is to turn the injured foot entirely immobilized in order to provide it complete rest against any type of stressful movement that might prolong the healing process.
The Process: Since all healing is accomplished by way of natural, human resources the procedure is quite simple & straightforward that can be professionally managed at a professional foot and ankle sprain clinic located in your vicinity. The ankle sprain treatment steps involved can be summarized as follows:
- Resting & elevating the ankle, ideally higher than the head level to prevent accumulation of venous blood within the furthermost region of the body
- Applying ice to the inflamed area to reduce swelling & painful condition
- Turning the damaged joint immobile through support from compressive plasters or tightly wound crepe bandages if the former acts as an allergen to the patient, to speed up the natural healing process
Foot and ankle sprains and injuries reaching up to a serious level often requires ligament(s) surgery at a Foot and ankle Clinic in NY or specialist level for complete repair and restorative treatment whereby the snapped ligament(s) are tightened for improved elasticity.
Preventive Measures That Matter
If you don’t or still haven’t started believing in the all-famous saying, “Prevention is better than cure”, you are most probably at a grave loss. As a medical rule nearly all physical & infectious maladies, inflicted directly or indirectly, can always be avoided prior to succumbing to their ill-effects.
The same rule applies to the utterly painful, discomforting & almost dysfunctional foot and ankle joint arising out of torn ligament(s) or a displaced ankle joint altogether.
- Usage of high-ankle boots with extra cushioning provides additional support to one of the most versatile body joints whenever you wish to follow your mood of hiking, trekking, sledging, skating or even mountaineering over slopes and trudging along non-uniform grounds.
- Regular workout on the ankle area through specifically designed exercise techniques can help in augmenting the muscular mass surrounding the entire ankle joint cylindrically. In this case, seeking advice & guidance from a foot and ankle sprain specialist physiotherapist doesn’t sound a bad idea at all.