Based in the heart of NY, Advance Foot and Ankle Solutions offer the best treatment for your shortened toe. Look no further when you can have direct access to the globally acclaimed team of foot and ankle doctors, supervising & managing your condition of shortened toe with diligence and dedication.
Advance Foot and Ankle Solutions support team is absolutely attentive to your shortened toe related issues. Call & book an appointment right away for professionally treated shortened toe to lead a healthy, avid lifestyle.
Shortened Toe: Explained By Your Podiatrist
Shortened toe, denoted medically as brachydactyly, describe a condition of unusually shortened bones of the digits either in the hands or the feet. This anomaly is the outcome of inheritance from either of the parents or both. It is usually painless and doesn’t present any apparent discomfort during lifetime. This condition has been classified into several types depending upon the bones involved. Moreover, this anomaly might turn into a symptom itself, signifying the presence of other probable genetic disorders.
Shortened Toe: Causative Factors
Shortened toe is generally regarded as being inherited from the familial genome where this condition is seen prevalent among other members, too. The main causes are summed up below:
- Inheritance From The Carrier Parent(s)
- Exposure Of The Expecting Mother To Certain Medications
- Problems In Blood Supply To The Limbs Of The Developing Baby
- Being A Symptomatic Condition Of Another Genetic Anomaly
- Being Afflicted With Down Syndrome Or Cushing’s Syndrome
Shortened Toe: Signs & Symptoms
The symptoms are usually congenital, present at birth, but are more observable during the growth and developmental phases of the affected.
- Shorter-Than-Normal Toes, Fingers Or Both
- No Pain Or Any Other Discomfort
- Clasping Problems In Hands, Walking Problems In Feet
Shortened Toe: Classification
Based on the digits and bones involved, its various types can be grouped accordingly.
- Type A
- Type B
- Type C
- Type D
- Type E
Shortened Toe: Treatment Ways & Means
The Domestic Remedy: Being perhaps the most benign of all foot and ankle care issues, it is often let go without any treatment. In cases of severe debility and dysfunctional hands and/or feet, the following course of treatment is usually employed to produce normalcy in functionality and strength of the affected region.
- Physiotherapy to improve the range of motion and movement along with providing vitality to the deformed structures
The Surgical Remedy: The surgical process is a much rare prospect in treating the shortened toe(s) condition. This approach is only employed in cases of shortened toes(s) condition getting compounded by being associated with another condition. When brought under consideration the following procedure is generally followed:
- Plastic Surgery for cosmetic or functionality-related purpose
- Osteomy wherein selected bones are cut and trimmed down for causing gradual lengthening of the shortened structures
Shortened Toe: The Associated Risk Factors
- The Condition Running In Family
- Child Affected With Down Syndrome Since Birth
- Being Gender-Related, Affecting More Women Than Men
- Presence Of Another Condition Complicating The Parent Issue