Facing painful muscle strains issues and searching for a professional strains treatment clinic in NY, your hometown? Look no further when you can have direct access to the internationally acclaimed foot and ankle biomechanics, accomplishing your strains healing job with excellence & expertise.
Located at the heart of New York, Advance Foot and Ankle Solutions is all ears & eyes to your strains treatment approach. Book an appointment right away for immediate results.
Strains: Biologically Defined By A Foot And Ankle Care Doctor
An injury caused to a muscle or a tendon due to strenuous, continuous activity gives rise to strain. Strains are usually the outcome of sudden and rapid heavy lifting, either during sports or any routine chores. In common terms, muscle strain is also referred to as a muscle pull.
A severe muscle strain may lead to a muscle tear that damages smaller blood vessels so as to cause internal local hemorrhage without any signs of external bruise or cut. Just as with other injuries, pain here is a natural consequence owing to irritating nerve endings developed in the injured area. The severity of pain can be a real disturbing factor so as to interfere seriously with routine work.
Muscle Strains: The Causative Factors
The Acute Strains: These may be attributed to the following reasons:
- Falling from some height
- Tripping over
- Running briskly
- Jumping to or from some altitude
- Pushing, pulling or throwing
- Bulky or inappropriate weight handling
The Chronic Strains: This category of strains is a result of the following:
- Repetitive improper posture while standing, sitting or lying
- Continuous motions & movements in sports such as rowing, golf, football or tennis
- Maintaining a particular posture for prolonged periods
- Repetitive & extensive bending, lifting or twisting movements out of one’s profession
Apart from the above being overweight, following an inactive lifestyle, possessing poor health or living with congenital or induced restricted flexibility are other general factors that produce muscle strains of varied intensities.
Muscle Strains: Signs & Symptoms
- Instant or delayed bruising, swelling, redness at the site of injury
- Gradational pain while resting or moving
- Muscle weakening sensation in the affected muscle
- Elevated stiffness in the strained muscle or tendon
- Frequent & sudden muscle spasms while resting or moving
- Restricted range of mobility
Gradation of Muscle Strain
Depending upon the severity of case muscle strain can be grouped as under:
1st Grade: Slight damage to the muscle or tendon fiber without any tear or significant loss of movement & strength
2nd Grade: Moderate damage to the muscle fibers with considerably diminished movement & strength due to a partial tear
3rd Grade: Complete rupture of the muscle or tendon that can be palpated easily by a foot and ankle care specialist, it being accounted for the most severe level strain condition
Muscle Strains: The Treatment Options
- Complete Rest is the first advice any foot and ankle care doctor or practitioner would give to the suffering person. The restful state should not be prolonged more than a few days to cast off any chances of developing disuse atrophy of the injured muscle leading to more complications. Gentle & guided exercises & motions should be practiced all along the sedentary period.
- Analgesic Medication is advised only on need basis. All analgesic (painkiller) preparations are to be taken upon the prescription of your foot and ankle care specialist only and at a time when mild to moderate muscle strain pain is be dealt with.
- Heat & Cold Treatments provide an instant, but temporary solution to your discomforted area. The cold treatment is applied in the form of ice cubes or cold pack placed over the affected region lessens swelling as well as the painful sensation. The heat treatment is employed after a couple of days to reduce muscle stiffness or hardness and loosing up tense & taut muscles.
- Physical Exercises & Therapy are essential to complete treatment & healing of the strained muscle or tendon. Your foot and ankle care doctor is best placed at guiding you to light & gentle exercises, correct posture principles and appropriate alignment of the injured region in strict accordance with orthopedic practice.
Muscle Relaxants as Medication should be avoided at best. Only under the stressful conditions of recurring acute muscle spasms should one opt for a muscle relaxant since this class of medicine is prone to causing addiction in users.