Tendon ruptures often call for emergency solutions. In the main NY, for more information on tendon ruptures and other related issues, do give us a knock at our displayed calling number(s).
Schedule an appointment for a thorough checkup or a quick consultation with New York’s globally renowned in-house physicians & consultants waiting to serve you at Advance Foot and Ankle Solutions, all specifically qualified in the treatment of tendon ruptures & related problems.
Tendon Ruptures of the Foot: How Problematic They Can Be
The foot being the lowest body part is confronted with the most difficult of all physical body functions, i.e. to support the entire living body mass throughout our lifespan. To achieve this end the foot alone is provided with such a bony framework that should perfectly compensate for the needful. For smooth & normal performance the foot is amply supplied with ligaments and tendons as connective tissues that are tough, resistant and strong so as to fortify the entire foot structure.
The human foot comprises of several tendons, but the one that is prone to the most damage is the Achilles tendon, lying posteriorly to the calf muscle and extending up to the upper part of the heel. This tendon is the largest, toughest, strongest and the most versatile connective structure within the body. It plays a major role in the overall working of the foot, not denying the fact that any noticeable harm or injury to it can seriously affect your whole life.
Achilles tendon rupture treatment is often quite extensive requiring months at stretch for complete healing. The tendon rupture usually needs to be examined by a tendon rupture doctor whose advice to seek further assistance from a tendon rupture specialist or directly going with the option of a reformative tendon rupture surgery is to be followed in strict accordance. Any neglect at the very onset of the tendon rupture episode might prove quite a heavy price to pay in terms of physical wellbeing.
Factors Causing Tendon Ruptures
Irrespective of the factors that give rise to Achilles tendon ruptures, the first and foremost indication of its damage is the feeling of pain and visually detectable inflammation around the affected area called Achilles tendonitis. The probable factors of this tendonitis can be enumerated as below:
- Overuse due to naturally stiff & inflexible calf muscles
- Undue exertion while speeding up rapidly during walking, jogging or running
- Running up steep places or ascending stairs
- Sudden contraction of the calf muscles causing trauma
- Improper footwear or walking gait with a tendency to exert weight abnormally to one side of an erect body
- Inadequate pauses for foot relaxation & warm-up during stiff workout or laborious activities
The Core Signs & Symptoms
Achilles tendonitis usually surfaces with a mildly aching affected area following exercise or some strenuous activity that gradually worsens. Other post-pain symptoms are listed below:
- Usually excruciating Achilles tendon rupture pain that is recurring & localized along the entire tendon length
- Mild to severe edema (swelling)
- Wake-up stiffness that diminishes gradually with the warmth of usage
- Early morning tenderness about an inch above the connective point of the Achilles to the heel bone
- Restricted leg movement that often causes lethargic attitude
Achilles Tendon Ruptures Treatment & Healing
The tendon rupture treatment process generally includes the following:
- Getting crape bandages applied through tendon rupture doctors & specialists at your local clinic to keep the ruptured tendon movement restricted to minimal
- Upon the advice of your tendon rupture specialist, wearing special orthotic footwear aimed at supporting the muscle & providing relief to the tendon rupture issue
- Adequately resting & switching to low-stress workout like swimming to provide respite to the Achilles tendon rupture for speedy recovery
- Strictly with consultation from a tendon rupture specialist or consultant, taking anti-rheumatic & analgesic medication upon dire need
- Getting help from a professional physiotherapist to acquire guidance on specialized leg & foot exercises to strengthen their weak muscles
- Massaging the affected area either with applications or purpose-built infrared lamps for hot massage.
When does Tendon Repair Surgery become Inevitable
The above procedure happens to be the mode of tendon rupture treatment at its least level where tendon rupture surgery can best be prevented within the confines & comfort of your home. In events where tendon rupture injuries are moderate to severe causing partially or completely torn tissue, a tendon rupture surgeon would go for an immediate reconstructive tendon rupture surgery to avoid permanent disability as a consequence of dislocation.
Another benign condition of the Achilles tendon is named “Xanthomas”, small lumps of cholesterol deposited within the tendon that become visually evident upon exertion of stress, as small spherical swellings or nodules. For its treatment, a biopsy of the lesion (abnormal outgrowth) is usually carried out leaving the lumps intact.
healing is achieved by below knee cast for 6 weeks followed by physical therapy until adequate function of the repaired tendon is achieved.
Preventive Measures That Matter
- Keeping to & maintaining normal body weight through controlled diet plans for minimal weight exertion to do away with tendon ruptures within the foot
- Adopting a normal walking or running gait without leaning to either sides of the erect physique to attain the ideal stance
- Taking adequate pauses between strenuous workouts & industrious tasks to allow the overstressed tendons respite & revitalizing intervals
- Selecting & wearing footgear that is cozy & comfortable to the level of being supportive & relaxing to sensitive foot zones to keep tendon rupture issues yonder