Based in the heart of NY, Advance Foot and Ankle Solutions offer the best orthotic facility for all your podiatric problems. Look no further when you can have direct access to the globally acclaimed team of foot and ankle doctors, supervising & managing your orthotic procedure with diligence and dedication.
Advance Foot and Ankle Solutions support team is absolutely attentive to your orthotics related requirements. Call & book an appointment right away for professionally diagnosed, treated and empathetically cured foot and ankle issues, to lead a wholesome, enviable lifestyle.
Orthotics: Defined & Explained By Your Doctor
Definition: Orthotics is the science of medical devices for artificially supporting and stabilizing bones and parts of the body affected by feeble or paralyzed muscles. In more descriptive terms it is the evaluation, fabrication and bespoke fitting of orthopedic braces or orthoses.
The science of orthotics is a complex blend of knowledge of various medico-physical subjects such as anatomy, physiology, pathophysiology, biomechanics, and engineering. The orthotic devices, i.e. the orthoses are externally fitted instruments that are used to improve the structural and functional features of the neuromuscular and skeletal systems.
Orthotics: The Categories
Based on the location of application on the human body, the orthotic devices have been grouped into 3 types:
- The Upper Extremity
- The Spine
- The Lower Extremity
Orthotics: Factors Leading To Its Usage
- Increased Pain
- Flat Foot
- High Arched Foot
- Runner’s Knee
- Cerebral Palsy
- Spina Bifida
- Traumatic Brain Injury
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Achilles Tendon Or Posterior Tibial Tendon Issues
- General Foot Pain While Standing
- Shin Splints
- Tripping Over, Falling Or Dropping Objects
- Muscle Atrophy
- Knee Pain Due To Imbalanced Legs & Feet
- Back Strain Owing To Non-aligned Legs & Feet
Orthotics: Functions Catered By Orthoses
- Assist Movement
- Restrict Movement In A Particular Direction
- Guide, Control, Limit Or Immobilize A Body Segment, Limb Or Joint
- Distribute & Lessen Weight-Bearing Forces
- Reduce Pain, Discomfort & Inflammation
- Aid In Fracture Rehabilitation After Cast Removal
- Rectify The Appearance & Function Of A Body Part
- Optimize High Impact Activities
Orthotics: Classifications Of The Lower Extremity Devices
The orthotic devices designed for providing support and stability to the lower extremity structures can be classified into 2 groups:
- Functional Orthotics are made of plastic or graphite and used to control the abnormal feet motion and various other podiatric problems.
- Accommodative Orthotics are softer to impart greater cushioning and support and used to treat certain foot conditions that cause pain, stress and limited mobility.
It should be noted that prescription orthotics, i.e. custom-made devices are generally tagged at higher price than their over-the-counter counterpart, owing to the fact that these are specifically designed and crafted for a perfect fit for the patient. Also, the best quality of materials used in their construction permits them to be utilized for years. A majority of insurance companies do acknowledge and provide coverage to these orthotic devices.